BACK TO HOME PAGE
1322 Louisa Street
Click on the cross and heart above for the St.Vincent De Paul No. 1 cemetery photo album
Click on the angel above for the St.Vincent De Paul No. 2 cemetery photo album
Click on the window above for the St.Vincent De Paul No. 3 cemetery photo album
These cemeteries were laid out by Pepe Liuia, the famous fencing master of old Creole days. He was connected with the famous Dueling Oaks in city Park. He was well known for teaching New Orleanians fencing skills and encouraged them to engage in mortal combat just for the sake of showing the art. He eventually settled down in the old farm section of New Orleans of what is now known as the St. Claude neighborhood. Some residents still refer to it as St. Vincent De Paul Parish. 6 years after the erection of the parish church, St. Vincent De Paul in 1838, Pepe cut his ground into cemeteries and named them after the patron saint of the parish. The tombs are built in the same order as those of ancient French cemeteries. Pepe Liuia, his wife, and his only daughter are buried here. His home bounded by Clouet, Louisa and Urquhart streets is stll overlooking the cemeteries.