BACK TO HOME PAGE
Nunez Street at D'Armas on the Westbank
Click on the cross above for the St. Mary in Algiers cemetery photo album
St. Mary's Cemetery was founded in 1866. It is maintained by the Church of the Holy Name of Mary, which also maintains St. Bartholomew Cemetery across the street. It's a small cemetery only covering one city block. It contains many copings, tombs, table tops and also has a few society tombs such as the McDonogh Benevolent Association from 1884, The Sacred Heart of Mary from 1875 and the St. Lucia Societa Italiana from 1903. It's in very good condition despite it's age. Although there are a few crumbling tombs, the grounds of the cemetery are well kept.