BACK TO HOME PAGE
Washington Avenue at Loyola - Central City
Click on the ironwork above for the Lafayette No. 2 cemetery photo album
Lafayette No. 2 is located on Washington Avenue and bound by Saratoga St., Sixth St., and Loyola Avenue. It was built by the city of Lafayette, and passed to the city of New Orleans with Lafayette cemetery No 1. By 1847 No. 1 was reaching capacity, and it was deemed that there be no new burials in the original cemetery. On May 20, 1851, the Council ordered the new cemetery to be divided into three sections like Lafayette No 1. This cemetery has numerous society vaults such as the Coachmen Benevolent Assn. and the Cotton Yard Men. This cemetery is not nearly as well kept as its contemporary. The whole cemetery is overgrown with dried weeds and bushes.