Click on Cathedral above for St. John - Hope Mausoleum photo album

Originally the location of St. John's Lutheran Cemetery which was established in 1867, it was the city's second Protestant cemetery. was founded in 1867 by the St. John Evengelical Lutheran congregation (the cemetery was also known as the First German Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery). The cemetery continued to be operated by the church until 1929, when it was sold to John Huber. Under the direction of Huber and, later, his heirs, the cemetery became non-sectarian. Huber also constructed Hope Mausoleum in 1931 around the perimeter of the cemetery. Inside, there are four mosaics of the seasons as well as many stained glass windows of historic New Orleans' landmarks such as Jackson Square, the Cabildo and Lee Circle.