BACK TO HOME PAGE
4100 Frenchmen Street
Click on the headstones above for the Hebrew Rest No. 1 cemetery photo album
Click on the headstones above for the Hebrew Rest No. 2 cemetery photo album
Click on the star above for the Hebrew Rest No. 3 cemetery photo album
Hebrew Rest was founded in 1860, and in 1872 the property was sold to Congregation Temple Sinai (Reform), at which time all rights to the property were given to the Hebrew Rest Cemetery Association. It is the largest Jewish cemetery in the city. The beautiful and dramatic double cast-iron gates that grace the main entrance to the cemetery were originally made for The World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial in New Orleans in 1884, and are the only remaining structures from that Exposition. This cemetery contains the remains of the city's first Jewish cemetery (Gates of Mercy) that was located at Jackson Avenue and Saratoga Street in 1828. It contained the pioneer Jews of German background who came to New Orleans after the Louisiana Purchase. The cemetery was demolished in 1957. The site was used to build a playground.
In 1894 the second square of property, adjacent to the first, was purchased jointly by Congregations Temple Sinai and Gates of Mercy of the Dispersed of Judah. This square is now known as Hebrew Rest Cemetery No.2. In 1938, a third square of property, adjacent to the first two, was purchased jointly by the same two congregations. This square is now known as Hebrew Rest Cemetery No. 3. This cemetery also contains the Hebrew Rest Mausoleum. In 1961, Congregation Temple Sinai and Touro Synagogue sold all property, including the Dispersed of Judah Cemetery in Mid-City, to the Hebrew Rest Cemetery Association, under whose auspices the 4 cemeteries operate today.The beautiful gates were made for the World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial in 1884 and are the only existing structures that survive from that event.
courtesy of hauntedneworleanstours.com and jewishgen.org