BACK TO HOME PAGE
4824 Canal Street
Click on the gate above for the Chevra Thilim, Gates of Prayer and Beth Israel cemetery photo album
4800 block of Canal St. next to P. J. McMahon Sons funeral home, in a square surrounded by a dead end private street, Canal St., S. Bernadotte, and Cleveland Ave.
Chevra Thilim is in the back by the gate on S. Bernadotte. Gates of Prayer is on the left and Beth Israel is on the right. Beth Israel section is right behind the gate on Canal St. Gates of Prayer is right as you enter the Cleveland Ave. gate.
Gates of Prayer
This is the oldest extant Jewish cemetery in New Orleans. It was founded in 1846. Use the Bernadotte Street entrance to enter. It is also known as Beth Israel Cemetery and the Canal Street Cemetery. Congregation Gates of Prayer took ownership of this property in 1939. Before that happened, it was the Tememe Derech Cemetery, but it contains burials for Congregations Beth Israel and Chevra Thilim. There are tombstones here from the 19th and 20th century written in both english and Hebrew. The present owner of the property is Congregation Gates of Prayer. The cemetery uses underground burial, but there are many ledger stones covering the graves.
Beth Israel No. 1
Congregation Beth Israel, founded in 1904, resulted after a merger of several small Orthodox congregations earlier formed by Eastern European Jews. Beth Israel is one of two Orthodox/Traditional congregations in New Orleans.
formally known as Tememe Dereche Cemetery, it was founded in 1858. In 1950, it was taken over by the Gates of Prayer who control most of the Jewish cemeteries in New Orleans. One tomb in this cemetery is an eleven foot tall lighthouse, which is the symbol for the Lighthouse for the Blind organization. One of the organization’s past presidents, Harry Offner, is buried there.
Tememe Derech Cemetery: (renamed Gates of Prayer, 1939) was founded in 1858. The cemetery opened in 1864. The founding congregation was a Polish group who disbanded in 1903. A volunteer group ran the cemetery until 1939. In that year, Congregation Gates of Prayer took over and renamed it after their congregation.