BACK TO HOME PAGE
Columbia Street at Kirkland in Covington, LA
Click on the headstone above for the Covington cemetery photo album
On July 4, 1813, John Wharton Collins, a New Orleans merchant, founded the city that became Covington on the edge of a parcel of land he owned in the fork between the Bogue Falaya and Tchefuncte Rivers. Collins laid out an unusual system of streets and squares with central lots and alleys that are popularly known as "ox lots." Collins named the town Wharton and dedicated it to Thomas Jefferson. When the legislature chartered the town in 1816, it was renamed with Collins strong objection to honor General Leonard Covington of Natchez who distinguished himself in the War of 1812.
On December 27, 1817, the founder of Covington, John Wharton Collins, died at his home in New Orleans. He was buried in Covington in accordance with his final request. He was interred on the corner of Columbia and Kirkland. His widow sold the surrounding land to the city five years later to be made into a cemetery.
courtesy of http://covingtonhistory.co.uk/Louisiana.htm